LEAD VIP BARTENDER
- POSITION: Lead VIP Bartender
- PROPERTY: The Mint Gaming Hall at Kentucky Downs
- DEPARTMENT: Beverage
- REPORTS TO: Director of F&B and Beverage Manager
JOB SUMMARY: The Lead VIP Bartender enhances the guest experience by providing premiere guest service in a positive and upbeat manner. The Lead VIP Bartender initiates conversations with guests, anticipates guest’s needs and seeks opportunity to build relationships and create a memorable interaction. The Lead VIP sets the example for the team by identifying the educational needs of others, developing formal educational or training programs or classes and teaching or instructing others.
SCOPE: The Lead VIP Bartender will lead the beverage team thorough knowledge of bar equipment, mixing procedures, recipes and brand knowledge of beer, wine, and liquor. The ability to accurately pour with or without a jigger and follow specified recipes is required. Must possess the ability to problem solve and address guest concerns through effective communication skills and the ability to demonstrate good judgement to include seeking management’s assistance as needed. The Lead VIP Bartender will be expected to coordinate the work and activities of others by getting members of the team to work together to accomplish tasks.
- Keeping up-to-date technically and applying new knowledge to your job performance.
- The ability and willingness to work in a fast-paced and high-volume environment.
- Responsible for crafting original menu items and designing new and innovative cocktails.
- Plan, organize and control operations of cocktail bar.
- Maintaining quality standards by expediting drinks made by team member to expectations of The Mint.
- Coaching team members by setting clear expectations, setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- The ability to entertain guests while mixing drinks, talking to customers about spirits
- To provide premiere service to guests and ensure their complete satisfaction, inclusive of greeting and interacting with guests in a friendly and enthusiastic manner, anticipating and meeting guest needs and preferences, remaining calm and professional when dealing with guests that are difficult or upset.
- The ability to develop and maintain professional, trusting, and positive working relationships with managers, supervisors, staff, coworkers, guests, and vendors.
- The ability and willingness to ensure that work activities are completed accurately, efficiently, and in a timely manner.
- The ability to work safely. This includes clearly understanding and following company safety policies and procedures, completing work in a safe manner, caring about safety of self and others, responding appropriately in an emergency, and reporting unsafe conditions.
- To post promptly all complimentary charges after having ensured that the approver’s signature is legible and appropriate.
- Mix and serve drinks following specified recipes.
- Maintain complete knowledge of all menu items, liquor brands, beer, and non-alcoholic selections available within the outlet.
- Working knowledge of designated glassware, ingredients, preparation method and garnishes of each drink.
- Always maintain an orderly and clean bar, including, but not limited to, bar surface, draught area, coolers, wells, sinks, mixing materials, server area and lounge.
- Maintain product inventory and supplies including all liquors, beers, wines, mixes, garnishes, glassware, ice, and miscellaneous bar supplies throughout shift.
- Set up bar at beginning of shift, cut fruit for the day, and close bar at end of each shift in accordance with Company standards.
- Ensure receipt of accurate payments, balance cash drawer during shift, and maintain security and accuracy of bank.
- Maintain regular attendance at scheduled shift and staff meetings
- Cocktail, bus, and service guests through the shift ensuring a visually appealing environment.
- Make sure all ashtrays are clean and empty throughout entire shift.
- Maintain professionalism and a friendly and approachable demeanor throughout the shift.
- Assist with training/mentoring of new team members as requested.
- Maintain all appearance standards in accordance with established uniform and appearance guidelines and have good personal hygiene.
- Oversee overall operation of the outlet bar.
- Record complimentary drinks, spilled drinks, drinks made by mistake, drinks refused by guest, and broken bottles as specified in department policies.
- Inform manager on duty of any irregularities and unusual situations when they occur.
- Ensure compliance with Company and State alcohol service and identification policies.
- Ability to keep a friendly, calm, and helpful demeanor in high-stress situations and a continuously fast-paced environment.
- Is honest in all interactions and displays a high degree of integrity.
- Ability to work independently with little to no supervision or as part of a team is required.
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
KEY SUCCESS INDICATORS: Must demonstrate the ability to successfully represent the company and the brand in all interactions. Exceptional hospitality, friendliness and professionalism are the standard. Highly motivated, self-directed and an organized approach to the role is key. Adapts and thrives in a demanding and fast paced environment.
OTHER DUTIES: The content of this job description does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be able to pass outlet tests with a score of 85% or better. This includes written test and pour test.
- High school diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED) preferred.
- The skills and abilities necessary for effective performance within this position are typically acquired through five (5) years bartending or similar experience or through progressive promotion and training within the Beverage department or at least one (1) in an upscale beverage operation.
- Internal candidates must have been in their current position for at least six months and have no active disciplinary action during the last six months as well as five (5) years bartending or similar experience or through progressive promotion and training within a Beverage department.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, this includes day, swing, late-night, weekend, and holiday shifts as scheduled.
- Must be able to obtain required work cards, alcohol awareness cards and non-gaming registration as required by the local jurisdiction.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must pass all required background checks.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS: The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to move in and around the work area throughout the entire workday.
- Must be able to stand or walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to repeat the same movements.
- Must be able to engage and interact with all guests appropriately and work well under the pressure of a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to successfully communicate on a regular basis with all co-workers, vendors, and guests both in person and over the telephone.
- Must be able to answer all inquiries and provide assistance and information in a professional and accurate manner.
- Must be able to access and interpret information on computer screens.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, crouch, kneel, twist, balance, and work at a bar; to include ability to tolerate changes in temperature, frequent immersion of hands in water, cleaning, and sanitizing solutions.
- Must be able to work in environment where smoking is permitted and can be loud with guest chatter, overhead music, and live entertainment.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and respond to visual and aural cues.
- Must possess the manual dexterity to operate the following equipment:
- Point of sale, glasswasher, mixing utensils and other bar related equipment.
- Requires the ability to distinguish letters or symbols and eye hand coordination.
The content of this job description does not restrict management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
The job description reflects the assignment of the essential functions of the current position but does not prescribe or restrict tasks that may be assigned. The essential functions are specified but are subject to change at any time for various reasons, including management discretion.
The Mint Gaming Hall at Kentucky Downs reserves the right to make changes to the job description whenever necessary.
The Mint Gaming Hall at Kentucky Downs is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.